To all our parents and carers:

I hope you are all keeping as well and safe as possible. Sadly, I am starting to hear of some families linked to our school who have been affected by the virus. If that is you in any way, please know our thoughts are with you and let us know if you think there is anything we can do to help.

I thought I would forward a few further bits of information that have been sent to me, which may be of help or interest:

1. This might be reassuring some families:

GOVERNMENT GUIDANCE ON LEAVING THE HOUSE FOR MEDICAL NEED

It specifically mentions both learning disability and autism

For more information here is the link. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

This is the relevant extract:

Can I exercise more than once a day if I need to due to a significant condition?

You can leave your home for medical need. If you (or a person in your care) have a specific health condition that requires you to leave the home to maintain your health – including if that involves travel beyond your local area – then you can do so. This could, for example, include where individuals with learning disabilities or autism require specific exercise in an open space two or three times each day – ideally in line with a care plan agreed with a medical professional.

Even in such cases, in order to reduce the spread of infection and protect those exercising, travel outside of the home should be limited, as close to your local area as possible, and you should remain at least 2 metres apart from anyone who is not a member of your household or a carer at all times.

I would perhaps advise having this Government Guidance handy on your phone if you are out and in case someone challenges you. You could also refer to this email as evidence of your child attending a special school.

1. We can all help to Safeguard children in our communities:

As children are not mixing with as many people out side the family as usual, there is concern that difficulties may go unnoticed. I have therefore been asked by the Norfolk Safeguarding Children Partnership to circulate this information. I have also (hopefully) attached a poster.

…a county-wide campaign is being launched calling on communities to look out for children and young people, during the current coronavirus lockdown.  Entitled See Something, Hear Something, Say Something, the campaign focuses on keeping children safe, as families face the pressure of staying at home for this prolonged period.

Schoolsnurseries and colleges are currently closed to the vast majority of children and, in addition, children cannot currently visit relatives and friends, or go to their usual clubs and activities. This means lots of the opportunities that children had to tell us when they were scared have disappeared. There are also fewer eyes and ears on children, potentially placing them at greater risk.

We’re also keen to get across the message that we are here to help families. We understand the pressures people are facing and want families to get in touch if they are struggling.

The number to call if you have a concern is: 0344 800 8020

1. A distraction for the weekend?

I am receiving lots of information with activity ideas to help pass time whist we are all isolated. I am sure you have seen some yourselves. I particularly liked the one that Judy, our Business Manager, discovered from the Caravan and Motorhome Club – “The Little Big Tent Festival”. Even if you cannot print out the activities, it may give you some ideas. It may just help you, as it helped me, remember happier times when we could all gather to have fun, and give you a smile.

Please take care and have as Happy an Easter as possible.

Safegarding leaflet can be found here

The Big little tent festival download pack here

Very best wishes

Pam

Pam Ashworth
Headteacher
John Grant School